Home

News

Project info

River Wye

Links

Wilton Castle

Herefordshire

 

Wilton Castle was probably built by Hugh de Longchamp who was granted the newly created manor of Wilton by Henry I shortly after he came to the throne in 1100.

 

The castle stands very  near to the River Wye. The Wells Brook, here called the Castle Brook, flows close to its eastern side and was probably used to supply the moat.
   

The recently repaired north-west tower, complete with medieval chimney. The external wall of a castle is the curtain.
   

An arrow loop in the north-west tower. Rounded ends to the slits were an 13th century innovation and were known as oillets.

   

The view along the renewed walk-way towards the north-west tower. Military architecture has technical terms for everything - walk-ways on castle curtain walls are known as allures.

   

Pigeon holes in the eastern tower.

In 1324 the inquiry into the property of John de Grey at the time of his death include the following

'And they say that there is there a certain castle with an outer court with two gardens, one courtyard and one pigeon house which are worth per year 16s 8d'

 

 

 

In the 16th century the Brydges built a house on the site of the castle's southern curtain wall.

During the Civil War Sir John Brydges was reluctant to take sides and concerned himself with conflicts in Ireland.

   

Because of this, leading local Royalists Henry Lingen and Sir John Scudamore  burned the house down in 1642,

Silas Taylor described it as 'a very fayre sweet dwelling house of Sir John Bridges wch in ancient times was a castle'.

 

 

Looking west along the southern side of the monument.

Behind the medieval tower is the stairwell tower of the Tudor house. Beyond this is the 19th century house.

 

 

The remains of the gate tower which also originally contained the castle's main accommodation.

 

 

The most recent of the buildings of the site are currently being renovated.

 

 

Inside the house a number of features still reflect the building's origins.

 

 

Since 1961 the castle has passed through several hands including those of Charles Clore the financier before being purchased by Mr and Mrs Alan Parslow who are currently extensively renovating the monument after a long period of neglect.

 

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley History pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.