river here traditionally divided the Welsh of Archenfield (Ergyng)
on the west bank from the English on the east bank (although
King's Caple on the east bank is in Archenfield).
Several of the village names are Welsh. Foy was
Lann Timoi in the 9th century - the church of St Timoi.
The 'Ti' in Timoi is a a diminutive or pet-name prefix,
leaving the Moi element which became changed to Foi -
Sellack was Lann Suluc in the 9th century. Suluc is another
form of the name Tysilio, the Saint to whom the
church at Sellack is still dedicated.
Hentland is simply hen llan - 'the old church'. In
Hentland parish is
Llanfrother - a corruption of 'church of the brethren'.
This is reputed to be the site of the first monastery of St
Dyfrig, or Dubricius, and was Hennlan super ripam Gui
'the old church on the River Wye' in the 6th century.
Bolstone parish a mill was called 'Abbot Tarretts Mill' in the
17th century. This was Abethtarada in 1191 - a
corruption of Abertaratyr 'the mouth of the River
Taratyr'. The Tarytyr formed the north-east boundary of