Home

News

Project info

River Wye

Links

Land use change

 

This on-going project is plotting the changes in the agricultural use of the countryside. When we have finished we will have total coverage of the current use, the use in the late 1930s, and at the time of the tithe maps - around 1840.

Now

We are plotting the current use of land in the area and how it is changing. We have covered a substantial amount of the survey area

 

 

Late 1930s

The use of land was recorded in the late 1930s. We are entering this data from the original maps onto computer systems in order to compare it with current and past usage. There was an agricultural depression at the time and much less land was arable than is the case now or was a century earlier.

 

 

The tithe maps, circa 1840

We are entering all the land use, ownership and tenants into the system. So far we have completed the parishes of Kings Caple, Bolstone and Ballingham. Brockhampton, Fownhope, Sellack and Holme Lacy are under way.

 

 

 

Estate maps - 18th century

Although we do not have a complete coverage of the area from these sources we do have maps covering farms on the Scudamore estates in Holme Lacy, Bolstone, Ballingham, and Brampton Abbotts. We also have a different coverage for Kings Caple.

 

 

 

 
 

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley History pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.