Home

Project Info

History

The River Wye

Links

 

Ballingham Walk, Wednesday 29th March

Road, Rail and River – a walk of approximately 5 miles led by Heather Hurley through Ballingham parish starting at Carey.

The Cottage of Content formerly the Miner’s Arms is housed in a 17th century building, originally three cottages

 

 

The Carey Brook at Carey

 

 

The old smithy

 

 

This deep hollow-way that formed a route from Hereford to Hoarwithy Passage that was turnpiked by the Hereford Trust in 1730, but ceased around 1840.

 

 

Walking towards Carey Court

 

 

By the 19th century vicarage the group listens to Heather with Ballingham in the background.

 

 

On top of the old railway tunnel

 

 

Seycell's - Saycell’s is a name that dates from the 13th century charters of St. Guthlac’s, and from 1701 – 1706 the family’s property seems to have been acquired by the Gregorys of How Caple. The line of the path followed the parish boundary.

 

 

Hollow-way from Seycells to Ballingham Green

 

Village Green and pond converted from waste land in 1977

   

Ballingham School of 1842 is now a village hall.

 

 

The church is dedicated to St Dubricius retaining some 13th and 14th century features after  restoration in 1884.

 

 

 

The same view in the 1920s; the demolished barn was 17th century.

   

Ballingham Hall dates from 1602 when built by William Scudamore, and appears on the 1695, 1754, 1780, 1842, 1888 and present maps.

 

 

In 1780 ‘Bellinghamhall is held by Mr. Edward Bullock; is good Arable & Pasture ground, and has a good house and offices, and is beautifully situated on the River Wye and almost surrounded by it’. From 1814 the farm of 417 acres was leased to Phillip Elliott at an annual rent of £416, and in 1909 the farm of 341 acres was tenanted to J Watkins.

   

Hollow-way from Ballingham Hall and Church towards Ballingham Court Farm

 

Very deep hollow-way with exposed sandstone between Ballingham Court Farm and Carey

 

 

Ford Road: leads to a former river crossing known as Carey Boat before the Railway was built in 1855, then it became known as Carey Bridge.

 

 

Explanation by Heather Hurley

 

 

The old railway bridge

 

 

In 1780 the crossing was known as ‘James Foord’. On the opposite side was the ferryman’s house, where a steep path led up to the Yew Tree or Wood Inn.

 

 

The Carey Brook flows into the Wye

 

 

Walking towards Bibletts

 

 

Bibletts on the boundary between Ballingham and Hentland. It is a name associated with the river, and found in a similar form in other parishes.

 

 

It is named on Taylor’s Navigation plan of 1763, and in 1827 there was a sale of ‘Tresseck & Biblett Farms’ then occupied by William Dobson. This is the place where the Horse Towing Path of 1809 crossed from the left to the right bank, where it is said the horses were stables. The islands, where commoners have fishing rights, have almost disappeared .

 

 

The area on the Kings Caple tithe map

   

and on the 1st edition OS map there area islands on both sides of the main stream of the river

 

 

In 2005

   

The Wye opposite Aramstone

 

 

And further downstream

 

 

 

 

Coming events - click image

_________________________________

 
 

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley Events pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.