Home

Project Info

History

The River Wye

Links

Holme Lacy and Ramsden Coppice walk

The group met at Holme Lacy College. The core of the college is the old Bower Farm; the 17th century farmhouse is on the right

 

Near the beginning of the walk. The first gate being closed behind the group.

 

Holme Lacy House with archery practice in the middle distance

 

The 'Green Drive' ran between Holme Lacy House and Little Dewchurch

 

Oaks in Holme Lacy Park

 

Veteran oak at Holme Lacy

 

Hereford cattle in Holme Lacy Park

   

Hereford calves on the Green Drive

 

Dinedore Hill from the Green Drive

   

Further along the Green Drive the group approaches 'The Belt', a northward extension of Upper Bolstone Wood.

 

Looking back along the Green Drive, marked by the line of trees running from the right-hand side of the picture

 

Old building at Tarrs Mill

 

Heather Hurley explaining the history of Tarrs Mill

 

Earthwork features at Tarrs mill indicating a medieval settlement

 

 
 

Potato ridges in 'Bloody Meadow'. According to legend this was the site of the battle in which King Gryffyd ap Llywellyn of Wales defeated the English in 1055, before burning Hereford.

   

PJ Pikes explaining the events of 1055/6. The peace treaty between Gryffydd and the English was signed at nearby Billingsley.

 

   

Walking along the edge of Ramsden Coppice. The bank on the left, marking the edge of the wood, must be hundreds, possibly thousands of years old.

   

The group in a clearing in Ramsden Coppice. This has been woodland since at least the 14th century when it was owned by the dean and chapter of Hereford Cathedral and its timber was used to repair their property.

 

 

 

Ramsden Coppice totally felled in the 1970s.

It was then planted with Larch and Western Red Cedar.

   

But wherever there is a gap in the trees native species return

 

David Lovelace explaining the vegetation in the wood

   

An old curving bank just visible in the wood. This archaeological feature could be of any date from the Iron Age to the post medieval periods

 

 

In adjacent Widow's Wood this area has been cleared of conifers and replanted with native broad-leaved species

 

 

 

   

The road here sits in a pronounced hollow-way which must be many centuries old

   

Examining hedgerow species

   

 

   

 

   

 

 

 
 

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley Events pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.