Old Harp: originally the Anchor in the
C18th , but when Richard Smith, a harpist took over the
name was changed to the Harp. Richard died in 1810 and
buried at Bridstow where his tomb reads ‘The Harp whilst
Mortal aft he strung, To please the gay and jocund throng,
With angels now he plays and sings, Glory to God, the King
of Kings’. The inn was extended around 1820 under John
Williams, and after being purchased by Chandos Hoskyns of
Harewood in 1861 it was put up for sale with the rest of
the estate, but was not sold until 1884 when it became the
Harp Temperance Hotel. Its cellars remained dry until the
Hurleys purchased the property in 1978.
Three Salmons: was a cider house in
1851 run by Thomas Evans, but after being purchased by the
Harewood estate was closed. The cider mill has been
converted, but unfortunately a large stone slab on the
garden wall was damaged several years ago. This was where
the fishermen of Hoarwithy displayed and sold their
The Foresters: originally the Odd
Fellows Arms, was built in 1834, and with its skittle
alley was sold in 1887 to James Preece for £340 who closed
the premises two years later. It then became a laundry and
is now a dwelling house.
Fisherman’s Arms: was one of five
licensed premises on Wye Hill, it was kept by Phillip
Preece in 1851 and its precise location is unknown.
Yew Tree: was a cider house in 1851,
and was advertised for sale in 1900 with Cider House and
Cider Mill House.
Forty Steps: named after its original
number of steps leading up to the beer house of 1870
occupied by Phillip Preece, and only open for a short
Yew Tree: traditionally said to have
served as a licensed premises in the C19th, but no
documentation has been found to support it.
Prussia : another former inn in
Hoarwithy known by the sign of the King of Prussia in the
C18th and named after Frederick the Great. It continued
as an inn kept by H Harry until the 1820s, but long before
the bridge was built the inn closed. The Prussia became a
grocers and general stores which closed at least 30 years