Home

News

Project Info

History

The River Wye

Links

Carey, Ballingham Herefordshire

The 13th century St Guthlac's priory records refer to Madoc of Kary, Yorford of Kary and Jehil of Kary with his sons Richard and Walter.

The Cottage of Content at Carey, formerly the Minerís Arms, is housed in a 17th century building, originally three cottages.

 

 

The smithy at Carey

 

 

The old road running north out of Carey. Probably of high antiquity, and forming part of a route from Hereford to Hoarwithy Passage, it was turnpiked by the Hereford Trust in 1730. The route ceased to be used around 1840.

   

Carey on the tithe map. The Cottage of Content, then the Miners Arms is number 47 and the smithy number 48. The road runs north-east from from the smithy and forms the parish boundary (the red line). Both businesses would have serviced travellers on the turnpike.

 

Click for walk through Carey and Ballingham in March 2006

 

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley History pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.