In 1377 19 males and females over the
the age of 14 paid tax at Fawley (only genuine paupers were
exempt from the tax).
Carey Mill, on an island in the Wye,
Llanthony Abbey, and was grinding corn in the 13th
century. In 1284 the prior of Llanthony obtained Free Warren
(exclusive hunting rights) in Fawley. In 1501 Llanthony
Abbey, through the auspices of its tenant David ap Gwillym
destroyed three tenements in Fawley and converted their arable
land into sheep pasture. In 1528 Carey mills and the attached
fishery was leased by the prior of Llanthony to Roger Cox.
In 1523 the recorded inhabitants of Falley and their
assessed wealth was as follows: