Home

News

Project Info

History

The River Wye

Links

Brampton Abbotts Herefordshire

   

Brampton Abbotts church March 2006

The name Brampton means 'Broom settlement' - the 'Abbotts' is a reference to the abbot of St Peter's Abbey, Gloucester which held it at Domesday and to the Reformation.

At Domesday there were two hides one of which paid tax and one which did not. In the free hide there were three ploughs in lordship. There were also five villeins and five bordars with five ploughs together with sixteen slaves.

In the other hide there was one villein and one bordar with one plough and a mill valued at eight shillings.

Another part of Brampton was held by the monastery of St Guthlac in Hereford. The marginal entry in the Herefordshire Domesday is Gadelesford suggesting that this property was at Gatsford, 1600 metres east of Brampton Abbots church. The name Gatsford is perhaps 'Gæddel's ford'.  The property was waste although it did pay tax. There was said to be land for two ploughs.

Part of the tithe map of Brampton Abbotts parish, 1838. Several fields are still divided into strips. These would have been the land divisions recognised by the medieval tenants of Gloucester Abbey. In the centre is Netherton Farm.

 

 

Brampton Abbott's on the 1823 map of the manors of Yatton, Eaton, Tregos and Calborough by Henry Garling.

 

 

Brampton Abbotts on the 1880s OS map

Welsh raiders from Archenfield were harassing the local English as late as the 12th century. A raid on Brampton Abbotts (Brantonia) recorded sometime between 1139 and 1148 caused the then abbot of Gloucester, Gilbert Foliot, to ask the Bishop of Hereford to act against Ithel, 'Chenedin' and their accomplices who were responsible.

Brampton Abbotts church a century ago

 

and the rectory

 

 

Brampton Abbotts school in 1928

 

 

and the children

   

At the time of the dissolution Brampton Abbotts was granted to the Rudhall family of Rudhall in the extreme south-east of the parish. The first mention of the family is in 1306 when William Roedale leased some land and an adjoining mill from the Abbot of Gloucester.

In the assessment of wealth for taxation carried out under Henry VIII's Subsidy Act of 1523, John Rudhall is easily the wealthiest person in the township.

John Rudhall
John Knyll
Thomas Colley
Martin Petitt
Thomas a Pye
Hugh Dyrham
John Cox
William Nurse
William Taylor
James a Bridge
John Collins
William Taylor of Gaitforde
Thomas Taylor
Roger Keys
Walter Hale
James Taylor
Roger Purdie

24 pounds
40 shillings
20 shillings
20 shillings
26 shillings
20 shillings
20 shillings
40 shillings
10 pounds
6 pounds
5 pounds
10 pounds
3 pounds
6 pounds
3 pounds
10 pounds
10 pounds
William Taylor of  Whelarr
Henry Hyett
Johanna Griffith
William Taylor of  Byrton
Philip Hyett
John Mutlowe
Roger Davies
Hugh Mutlowe
Walter Addis
William Addis
John ap Richard
Henry Beynham
William Collins
John Griffith
Richard  Mosell
Richard Verne
53 shillings & 4 pence
10 pounds
3 pounds
10 pounds
3 pounds
40 shillings
3 pounds
8 pounds
6 pounds
3 pounds
5 pounds
20 shillings
4 pounds
20 shillings
20 shillings
4 pounds

Tax assessment from Herefordshire Taxes in the Reign of Henry VIII edited by M A Faraday: Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club, Herefordshire, 2005

Brompton chapel contributed 2 shillings and 5 pence to Henry VIII's Devotion Money in 1543. Brampton Abbotts was a chapelry of Ross-on-Wye until 1671 and although there is a brass in Brampton Abbotts church commemorating a John Rudhall who died 1506, and his wife, most memorials of the family are found in the mother church of Ross.

A road at Brampton Abbotts sunk into a hollow-way
   
Brampton Abbotts church in 1851

 

Gatsford

Gatsford was variously Gedesford, Gadelesford and Gedelesford in the 12th century and may mean Gæddel's ford. It was Gaitforde in 1523 when William Taylor was identified as being from there (see above).

Rudhall

At Rudhall there are remains of a 14th century house. The property came into the hands of Nicholas Rudhall in 1411-12. The family rebuilt the house and the place took their name.

Archaeological records from Brampton Abbotts are held on Historic Herefordshire On Line

Brampton Abbotts GENUKI pages

 

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley History pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.