Home

News

Project Info

History

The River Wye

Links

Bridstow Herefordshire

 

Bridstow lies in Archenfield and was Lann San Freit (sometimes Lann San Bregit) before the arrival of the English in whose language the name means 'Holy place of St Bride'.  The Liber Llandavensis, the Book of Llandaff, records that in 1066, Herewald,  bishop of Llandaff, appointed Guollguinn as priest here. Guillguinn's son Ioann succeeded him as parish priest (It was not uncommon for priests to be married and sons sometimes succeeded fathers in an incumbency).

Although it clearly existed, and had a church with a priest at the time, Bridstow itself is not mentioned in Domesday. This is common for places in Archenfield.

Two places in the present parish do appear in Domesday, Ascis and Wiltone - now Ashe Ingen - and Wilton. Ascis and Wilton belonged to the manor of Cleeve on the left bank of the Wye. Cleeve had belonged to Harold Godwinson before he became king. The manor of Cleeve was centred in the area which is now Lower Cleeve Farm on the southern outskirts of Ross-on-Wye. It has been suggested that it was Harold who took this area from the Welsh while he was campaigning against them in the 1050s.

 

St Bridget's church, Bridstow was rebuilt in 1862 but the re-set chancel arch is early 12th century. A re-set arcade of about 1200 is in the north chancel wall. The tower is late 14th century.

Image courtesy of Hereford City Library

   

Bridstow church in February 2006 during a visit by the LOWV group

   

Bridstow medieval churchyard cross. Churchyard crosses are common in Herefordshire

   

The Wells Brook flowing through its marshy valley leading towards Bridstow church

   

A little nearer to Bridstow church. The footpath from Pool Mill to the church.

   

Bathers at Bridstow in the 1930s

   

 
   

Buckcastle Hill

 

Houses on the edge of what originated as a squatter settlement at Buckcastle Hill

Poolmill

 
 

Ashe Ingen

Ashe Ingen takes its name from Ascis - ash trees. It was one of the earliest English lands in Archenfield.

 

Wilton

If Ashe Ingen takes its name from ash trees, Wilton is the estate among the willows.

Wilton and Wilton Bridge from the Ross-on-Wye side of the river. Click for Wilton page.

 

For Wilton Castle click image

 

Dadnor

Pony and trap at Dadnor Court

 

Birch

Also at Bridstow in the 13th-14th century was Birch or Birchis with the simple meaning Birch Trees, in contrast to the ash of Ashe Ingen and the willows of Wilton.

The site of Moraston House was known as Meredicheston - Maredudd's (Meredith) estate in 1334.

 

Hollington

This pond on the Crow Brook which forms the boundary between the parishes of Bridstow and Marstow.

   

From the air this pond is a fairly substantial landscape feature.

   

Yet it was not there in 1839 when the tithe map was drawn

   

Nor in 1905 on the 2nd edition OS map

 

Links

Bridstow GENUKI pages

wyenot.com/bridstow

Archaeological records from Bridstow are held by Historic Herefordshire On Line

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley History pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.