Home

News

Project Info

History

The River Wye

Links

Brockhampton, Herefordshire

 

Brockhampton is 'Brook settlement'. In Domesday it was Caplefore and marked as Brochamtona in the annotated Herefordshire Domesday of 1160-70. In Domesday Caplefore was a manor of the Church of Hereford. There were five English hides which paid tax and three Welsh hides which paid six shillings a year to the canons of the cathedral. In the five English hides there was one plough in lordship. There were eight villagers with seven ploughs and three acres of meadow. The Welsh hides may well have been on the west bank of the Wye.

Brockhampton has seen some of the most recent landscape remodelling in the area. Here is Brockhampton in the 1880s. Holy Trinity church is just to the south of Brockhampton House. A lane runs immediately to the west of the house.

 

 

Shortly after the landowners built a new house and closed the lane to the public. A new road was built to keep passers-by away from the house. The fields and orchards around the house were made into a park.

   

Brockhampton Court was the name given to the new house, constructed in 1893, to replace Upper Court, which was embedded in its fabric.

Photograph Chris Musson & the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club.

 

In 1523 the recorded inhabitants of Brockehampton and their assessed wealth was as follows:

Rogerus Churche
Ric(ard)us Churche
Rogerus Puckemere
Thom(a)s Puckemere
Rog(er)us Churche

4 pounds
4 pounds
6 pounds
100 shillings
12 pounds
Roger(u)s Tewe
Joh(ann)es Churche
Roger(u)s Churche jun(ior)
Will(el)m(u)s Tewe
3 pounds
3 pounds
4pounds
40 shillings

Tax assessment from Herefordshire Taxes in the Reign of Henry VIII edited by M A Faraday: Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club, Herefordshire, 2005

 

Upper Court once belonged to the Dean and Chapter of Hereford Cathedral. By the later 17th century it was the property of the Skyrme family. On the death of Thomas Skyrme in 1788 it descended to his daughter Hannah, wife of Thomas Protheroe. Their son Thomas Skyrme Protheroe sold it to to William Stallard in 1833. In 1869 it was purchased by the Reverend  Christopher Lighton and in 1890, his widow sold it to Ebenezer Jordon of Boston Massachusetts when it became the residence of his daughter Alice and her husband, the Reverend Arthur Wellesley Foster.

Brockhampton's original church, Holy Trinity, was a chapel of ease to Woolhope until 1771 when it became a separate benefice.

 

A new church, All Saints, was consecrated in 1902, and is one of three thatched churches in Herefordshire.

   

Brockhampton Court's lodge, opposite All Saints church, is now a Post Office

   

Valley besides the drive from the lodge to Brockhampton Court.
   

Cart house at Ladyridge Farm, Brockhampton

   

Court Farm in the 1930s

   
 

Fawley

 

 

See www.brockhampton.com

Archaeological records from Brockhampton are held on Historic Herefordshire On Line

Brockhampton GENUKI pages

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley History pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.