Home

News

Project Info

History

The River Wye

Links

Foy Herefordshire

 

St Mary's church, Foy.

Photograph © Chris Musson & the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club.

 

In the 860s the priest Mailseru of Lann Timoi together with Concum, priest of Lann Suluc (Sellack) were witnesses of a gift of land to Bishop Nudd from Abraham. In the reign of Edward the Confessor, Bishop Herewald of Llandaff appointed Joseph son of Brein to the church here - Lanntiuoi.

The hypocoristic ti was placed in front of the name of the saint here, Moi, to give the name Timoi. The ti has been lost and the name changed to Foi or Foy.

Like the other Archenfield churches, Foy does not appear in Domesday. In 1100 it was given by Harold of Ewyas to Gloucester Abbey.

St Mary's church, Foy

Image courtesy of Hereford City Library

   

Foy church on its prominent bluff above the Wye.

   

   

Foy parish is divided by the Wye. The footbridge near Hole-in-the-Wall was built to let the parishioners of 'English' Foy attend the parish church, which is in 'Welsh' Foy, without ford or ferry being required.

   

Foy's integrity as a parish seems to have been fairly recent, the two parts of the parish being considered to be in different hundreds for much of the time. The township of Eaton Tregoz in east, or 'English', Foy was assessed separately from Foy itself in taxations of the 16th and 17th centuries.  Eaton Tregoz was assessed with Greytree Hundred while Foy was always within Wormelow Hundred where it was generally assessed as one unit with Sellack.

At a meeting of the Ross & Whitchurch District Committee of the Herefordshire War Agricultural Cultivation Committee held on September 16th 1939 Foy (west) was grouped together with Sellack, while Foy (east) was grouped with Brampton Abbotts (then spelled Abbots).

   

Eaton Tregoz and Hole in the Wall - click image

       

Ingestone

Ingestone is a farm on the right bank of the Wye towards the end of the Foy peninsula in a great loop in the river. It was earlier a mansion and township and was for centuries the home of the senior branch of the Abrahall family.

Ingestone was Enche(s)tone in 1283 and is likely to mean 'settlement of the manorial servants'.

Markey Abrahall, the last male heir of the family which had held Eaton Tregoz for several generations, died in 1715 and after passing to his sisters, Ingestone descended to John Hoskyns, who confusingly took the additional surname Abrahall.

Ingestone House, a brick mansion, was built in 1616 by John Abrahall and demolished in the 1830s.

Image from A History of the Mansion and Manors of Herefordshire, Rev Charles Robinson, 1872

   

 

At some time Ingestone acquired a large formal garden the earthworks of which are still visible on this aerial photograph.

The smaller house which replaced the 17th century mansion is shown  left among later farm buildings.

Photograph © Chris Musson

   

'The Hill' at Ingestone: this is the only piece of woodland in the western part of Foy. View from How Caple church.

Perrystone

Perrystone is in the part of Foy parish on the left bank of the Wye. It was very near to the site of a place called Snogsash.

Perrystone Court was a stone building of the 18th century. George Clive bought Perrystone from Colonel Morgan Clifford, sometime MP for Hereford, in 1865 and converted the then existing house into a mock Elizabethan mansion.

In 1959 the mansion burnt down and was replaced by a new house.

Avenue of trees at Perrystone, Foy, right

   

The original Perrystone House

   

Hill of Eaton

Hill of Eaton has been suggested as a possible site of Eaton Tregoz Castle. It is also the suggested site of an Iron Age promontory fort and marked as such on a series of maps.

The rectangular symbol was used by Isaac Taylor in 1754 to indicate ancient camps.

 

 

The same site marked 'Site of Camp' on Bryant's 1835 county map.

 

 

The word 'Camp' on the 1880s OS 1st edition 1/1250 map

 

Hill of Eaton Farm in 1823

 

 

The buildings at Hill of Eaton with Capler Camp in the distance

 

Snogsash

Snogsash is first recorded as Fnogesesse in 1180 and is Fucogeaishe in 1422. The first element of the name is entirely obscure but the second is ęsc 'ash tree'; a tree name like nearby Wilton and Ashe Ingen.

The hundreds of Herefordshire were reorganised by Henry I and Bromsash and Greytree hundreds (which appear in Domesday) were merged to a form a new hundred which was originally called Fnogesesse. By 1243 the name had become Greytree again.

Carthage

Carthage was called The Hom until the 18th century. It was still Hom house in 1753, but had been given its classical name by 1783.

   
   

 

Foy GENUKI pages

Archaeological records from Foy are held on Historic Herefordshire On Line 

See also www.wyenot.com/fawley.htm

 

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley History pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.