Home

News

Project Info

History

The River Wye

Links

Hentland Herefordshire

 

The church of St Dubricius, Hentland 
Photograph Chris Musson & the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club

 

Hentland is a slight corruption of the Welsh hen llan - the old church - and must mean that the religious foundation here is of great antiquity. It has been suggested that this church is the site of St Dyfrig's original 5th century monastery, but that is more likely to have been at Llanfrother within Hentland parish. The truth about St Dyfrig is obscure: his legend is recounted on the website Early British Kingdoms.

St Dubricius church, Hentland. The chancel, nave and north aisle were built or rebuilt around 1300. The tower is late 14th century.

Image courtesy of Hereford City Library

 

The original dedication of the church seems to have been to St Teilio.  In the reigns of Edward the Confessor and Gryffyth of Wales the dedication was to St Teilio and St Dyfric 'in one cemetery'.  It was at this time that Bishop Herewald of Llandaff appointed 'Enniaun son of Cincenn' to the church. It may be that an old monastic church at Llanfrother, associated with St Dyfrig, became merged with the foundation at Hentland.

Click for the Hentland church yew tree

 

 

   

Hentland church has only one road leading to it now. Once there were at least five. It stands virtually alone surrounded by fields and the village which once surrounded it has disappeared.

   

An old view of the interior of Hentland Church

   

Old lane leading south from Hentland church towards St Owen's Cross and ultimately Monmouth.

   

Old lane leading south-west from Hentland church towards Gillow

   

Hentland school

   

The junior class of 1935

   

and the senior class...

   

Hentland school in 2006

   
 

Earthwork Survey at Hentland, March 2006

   

Excavations at Hentland - 1970, 1971

 

Places in Hentland Parish

 

Gillow

Gillow is another Welsh place-name - Cil Luch - 'lake nook'.

 

 

Hoarwithy

The hamlet of Hoarwithy is first recorded in the late 13th or early 14th century - La Horewythy, the name being a tree-name.

 

   

Tresseck and Altbough

Ancient townships, Tresseck and Altbough are now farms near Hoarwithy

 

   

Llanfrother

Now a farm, Llanfrother was a medieval township and is the most likely site of a 6th century British monastery

   

Kynaston

Now a farm 750 metres north of Hentland church, Kynaston was a medieval township. In 1523 it was assessed with Llanfrother as Kynarston & Henfrowder

David Bennett
William Sweyne
John Sweyne
William Mallegwyn
John Wathen

13 pounds 6 shillings
100 shillings
7 pounds
4 pounds
40 shillings
Richard ap Howell
John Taylor
Joan Vaughan (widow)
Richard Tyler
7 pounds
20 shillings
40 shilling
20 shillings

In 1536 it was again assessed with Llanfrother as Henfrondre & Kynaston and two locals were wealthy enough to be taxed: Thomas a Mynde was assessed has having goods to the value of 23 pounds and John Swayne goods to the value of 20 pounds.

Tax assessment from Herefordshire Taxes in the Reign of Henry VIII edited by M A Faraday: Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club, Herefordshire, 2005

Red Rail

South of Hoarwithy is Red Rail. A stone road leading to the site of a ford across the Wye here was excavated during the LOWV project.

Aberhall

First recorded as Abrehal(e) in 1255 this name may mean 'Eadburg's nook'. This was a manor of a family of that name around 1670.

Aberhall or Abrahall was the place that the family of that name originally came from. In the 15th century the Abrahalls held the manor of Ingestone and Eaton Tregoz in Foy parish.

 

Treaddow

Treaddow is recorded as Trairat in 1136-42. The original form may have been something like Tre'r-adwy - settlement at a gap. The motte and bailey castle at Chapel Tump, Treaddow is now in poor condition and nothing is known of its history.

It was the township - villata - of Trerado in Henry VIII's taxation of 1525 when the inhabitants and their wealth was assessed as follows:

John ap Gwyllym
William Hegyn
John Machyn
John Seymour
Nicholas Duggins
John Hythe

20 pounds
40 shillings
60 shillings
60 shillings
40 shillings
20 shillings
Robert Smyth
William Walker
Thomas Hawker
Ralph a Mynde
John a Mynde
John Gough
6 pounds 13 shillings & 4 pence
60 shillings
20 shillings
20 shillings
20 shillings
6 pounds 13 shillings & 4 pence

Tax assessment from Herefordshire Taxes in the Reign of Henry VIII edited by M A Faraday: Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club, Herefordshire, 2005

 

Chapel Tump

Cottages at Chapel Tump in Hentland parish. This small settlement occupies the site of a former motte and bailey castle.

   

Chapel tump on the Hentland tithe map

 

 

Aerial view of Chapel Tump

 

 

We know nothing of the history of this site. Presumably the castle was abandoned at an early date.

 

 

This has the appearance of a squatter settlement, perhaps originating as a group of rough huts on a site which was no longer of use to anyone else.

   
 
 
 

Links

There is a parish web-site at www.hentlandandhoarwithy.co.uk

Hentland GENUKI pages

Archaeological records from Hentland are held on Historic Herefordshire On Line

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley History pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.