Home

News

Project Info

History

The River Wye

Links

Kings Caple Herefordshire

 

Kings Caple church

   

Gillies on the Aramstone estate, Kings Caple, between the world wars.

   

 
   

 
   

Kings Caple lies on the east bank of the Wye where the river describes a great loop. Although on the east bank, Kings Caple is in Archenfield, the old Welsh kingdom of Ergyng.

In Domesday, as the name suggests, Kings Caple (although then just Cape) was a manor of the king. It was held of the king by William fitz Norman and of him, in turn by Walter. As a Welsh manor of Archenfield it paid its taxes in the Welsh way - five sesters of honey and five sheep with lambs.

The recorded population was five Welshmen with five ploughs and a Frenchman with one plough. 

Opposite the church is Caple Tump, the motte where the local castle once stood.

   

The Caple Loop on the Wye shown on Bryant's 1835 map of Herefordshire
   

An old photograph of Kings Caple Tump by Alfred Watkins

   

18th century print of Aramstone House in Kings Caple

   

Mr Roberts' house in Kings Caple in 1795 - James Wathen

   

Scattered fields in Kings Caple in 1780 belonging to the Scudamore Estate.

courtesy of the Scudamore Family

 

The story of Kings Caple is told in Kings Caple in Archenfield by Elizabeth Taylor, 1997.

 

The peninsula formed by the loop in the river here has been an attractive settlement site from a very early date. The earliest finds here are mesolithic.

Flint tool found at Kings Caple in 1998

courtesy of Angela Williams

   

Profile view of the tool
   

Flint tools found at Kings Caple, November 2005

 

 

 

Pennoxstone

This could be from the family name of Jacobus de Penhoc who, in 1205, was in dispute with Henry de Longchamps, the lord of Wilton. The manor of Wilton had outlying parts in King's Caple and a tenement that de Penhoc claimed that de Longchamps had disseised (dispossed or deprived) him of may well be here.

Ruxton

This is likely to be the tūn of Rhydderch - a Welsh personal name.

Kings Caple Field Project

Kings Caple GENUKI pages

Archaeological records from Ballingham are held on Historic Herefordshire On Line

Back to TOP

 

Wye Valley History pages

maintained by Archenfield Archaeology Ltd

           

This project was part-financed by the European Union (EAGGF) and DEFRA through the Herefordshire Rivers LEADER+ Programme.